I often get the question, “I just purchased QuickBooks, so what do I do next?”
1 – Install the software on a test computer, preferably a new computer that meets High Performance System Requirements with a fresh operating system installation.
- XP Professional SP2, Vista Home Premium, Business or Ultimate Operating Systems, Win 7 Pro or Ultimate
- 2.0GHz or faster processor
- 2GB or more of RAM for XP, 4GB or more of RAM for Vista or Win 7
- 5GB or more free hard drive space
- Conflicting software applications must be shutdown and removed from client computers
- In a multiuser QuickBooks 2007/8 configuration, each computer must have a gigabit network interface, connected to a gigabit switch, using gigabit certified cables and/or data drops
2 – Learn as much as you can about QuickBooks starting with the “Learning Center Tutorials”. Select “View the Tutorial” from “QuickBooks Coach” or “Help” then “Learning Center Tutorials”
3 – Setup a prototype company file to look as close to your company as possible, install add on and third party software
4 – If your requirements include QuickBooks Multi User, review how you want to install your computer systems and network .
5 – Write a step by step plan to deploy QuickBooks in your company. Include not only computer systems and QuickBooks installation, but also who will do what task and the training and transition to go live.
6 – Create and test your production company file on your test computer using a single Company Files folder to contain all of your company files. This might be a good time to get a QuickBooks Pro Advisor involved
7 – Execute your plan to install your production environment, install your computer systems and network, install QuickBooks software, test network access to QuickBooks with each computer using a demo company file
8 – Stop using your current accounting system, transfer data from your old system into your new QuickBooks system using your test computer. Make a copy of your “Company Files Folder” to serve as a temporary backup.
9 – Copy all of the contents of your “Company Files Folder” into the folder that is your production shared company files folder.
10 – Setup all addons and links, storing databases like “QuickBooks Shipping Manager” and “QuickBooks Loan Manager” in your production shared company files folder.
11 – Configure and test an Automated Off Site Backup
12 – Go live and start enjoying QuickBooks
Are You Ready For QuickBooks Multi User?
Visit painlessquickbooks.com to find out.