APC has an interesting white paper about deploying EMR. You can download it here. (requires new account setup) Of course their take is from a power perspective.
The key things you want to be sure of when you consider where to actually put your equipment should include the following:
• Ability to provide enough cooling for the hardware as the hardware needs it
• Ability to simply and easily add new hardware. Storage, for example, is going to grow each and every day – just look at your paper files
• Ability to provide dependable power to the hardware that is protected so that it is not interrupted and can expand when you add new hardware
• Ability to see and manage of potential problems from power, cooling, or security
• Simplifies the set-up and use of new hardware by simplifying cabling.
I see these as the top five reasons to think real seriously about a HIPAA compliant virtual hosted environment for your new EMR deployment. Keep the hardware out of your clinic and save a ton of money and headache.